Cruising the West Coast
The map shows the possibilities of a cruise from our base at Craobh on the West Coast:
The waters of the West Coast and Inner and Outer Hebrides offer:
- Some of the world's most beautiful scenery and cruising, limited only by time, weather and your skills and imagination.
- Opportunities for both the fair weather sailor, and the explorer who enjoys piloting into remote bays and anchorages.
- Sightings of seals, whales, porpoises, dolphins, basking sharks, seabirds of all kinds together with other wildlife in abundance;
Possible Cruising Itineraries:
While this area, unlike the Clyde, is not for the beginner, most cruising takes place in the relatively protected waters between the islands and the mainland.
- Tobermory, Iona, Coll and Tire and possibly Fingals Cave and the Treshnish islands, and even passing by the notorious Corryvreckan whirlpool (wind and tide permitting of course!).
- A cruise to the south of Craobh can take in Isla, Jura, Gigha and Colonsay, offering the possibilities of beautiful scenery, hospitality and, for those of you with the inclination, a visit to some very famous distilleries including Lagavulin on the Isle of Islay
- Going north of Mull passing around the notorious Ardnamurchan Point, Great Britain's most westerly point, you can visit the Outer Isles from Barra and the Uists to Lewis with the extensive sand beaches of their west or Atlantic coastlines, and explore Skye and the islands of the Inner Sound.
- North of Oban there are few marinas and you will find yourself anchoring, mooring to buoys or sharing harbour berths with fishing boats, ferries and other yachts, many of whom are willing to offer help and advice to those unfamiliar with the area.
- Don't be too ambitious in planning a cruise, especially if young children or novices are aboard. Daily passages of 20 to 25 miles are usually sufficient.!
- All the yachts carry charts and cruising directions which will allow safe pilotage within the area of your choice.
- We can help you create an itinerary for your charter with suggestions for anchorages, places of interest ashore and dining recommendations.
To enjoy the Portway charter experience, Just Come!
NOTE: All cruises and itineraries will be influenced by prevailing weather conditions, tides, the ability of the crew and the time available.