Cruising the Clyde Estuary & Northern Ireland
The map shows the possibilities of a cruise from our base at Kip on the Clyde.
The waters of the Clyde offer beautiful scenery and interesting, safe cruising, limited only by time, weather and imagination.
The Clyde area:
- is Fantastic for gaining experience and mileage without having to contend with the more challenging conditions of the West Coast;
- is Ideal for the novice sailor as well and the more experienced sailor wishing a relaxing holiday with family and friends;
- offers protected lochs and waters within which most cruising takes place;
- offers a multitude of marinas, anchorages and moorings, many of which are adjacent to, or even operated by, the many good restaurants and pubs situated within easy reach of the water.
- offers reasonably regular sightings of Seals, whales, porpoises, dolphins, basking sharks, seabirds of all kinds together with other wildlife. These sightings may not be as abundant as on the West Coast but are nevertheless to be anticipated. Added to which, the occasional submarine may be encountered on its way home to its base at Faslane on Gareloch - just make sure you keep out if its way!
Cruising possibilities on the Clyde...
- Weekend charterers often visit Rothesay on the Island of Bute, Tarbert Loch Fyne and sail through the beautiful Kyles of Bute with maybe a stopover at the Colintraive Hotel for lunch or dinner .
- In a week, a charterer can also visit
- the Island of Arran, Campbeltown and the Ayrshire Coast, and/or
- Loch Fyne with a stop off at Inverary and dinner at the George Hotel or the Loch Fyne Oyster bar (a short taxi ride), and/or
- Glasgow via a motor up the Clyde river
- Distances are not great and a safe berth or anchorage is never far away.
Don't be too ambitious in planning a cruise, especially if young children or novice sailors are aboard. Daily passages of 20 to 25 miles are usually sufficient.
We can help you create an itinerary for your charter with suggestions for anchorages, places of interest ashore and dining recommendations.
To enjoy the Portway charter experience, Just Come!
NOTE: All cruises and itineraries will be influenced by prevailing weather conditions, tides, the ability of the crew and the time available.